Jeep FAQ
How-To Articles
Quick Reference
Product Reviews
Forum
Gallery
About Me
Projects
Random
Home

 

My R6 Buildup

So many years ago at this point, I was shopping for a used motorcycle and came across a deal on a new R6. It had a used bike price because it was two years old at that point and had never sold. I didn't have any good pictures of it with the huge rear fender, so this image is the closest thing to stock I could find:
 
My R6 Stock
 
One of the first things I did was peel off all the decals:
 
R6 Minus the Decals
 
After having a couple people attempt to switch lanes into me, I decided full exhaust was necessary.
 
R6 During the Exhaust Install
 
R6 MJS Header Compared to Stock Header
 
This was also a good time to throw a K&N air filter, and do smog block off plates:
 
R6 KN Filter
 
While hunting for exhaust, I really only liked the looks of the GYTR slip on, so that's what I went with:
 
R6 GYTR Slip On
 
The next modification was new sprockets. I decided to go -1 / +2
 
R6 Sprockets
 
Decided to upgrade the front pads, and lines as well:
 
R6 Braided Brake Hoses
 
While the bike ran ok with just a PowerCommander with the exhaust, it wasn't perfect. I decided to add an AutoTune module to the system. Unfortunately this meant tearing the bike apart again. Once I added the speed sensor wire to the PCV so I could create different maps for each gear the AutoTune was just what the bike needed. It's been a great addition:
 
R6 PCV and AutoTune
 
To run at the local track I needed a tethered kill switch, and PMR had the nicest one I could find:
 
R6 PMR Tethered Kill Switch
 
To eliminate the factory mirrors, I made up some brackets to mount mirrors behind the fairings.
 
R6 Custom Mirror Brackets
 
R6 Mirror Elminators
 
After seeing the condition of the bolts and bearings in the swing arm of my DRZ I decided it was time to do a service on the R6 swing arm. I'm glad I did, as pretty much all the bolts needed polishing to get rid of the corrision, but it was a ton of work. The project started by removing the radiator if that explains how much of the bike had to come apart.
 
R6 Swingarm Service
 
After not being able to find any alternative to the expensive OEM tool for the swing arm nut, I decided to make one. I had to sacrifice a $9 socket, but it was far cheaper than the Yamaha tool:
 
R6 Swingarm Socket
 
It was also time to replace my sprockets / chain again. This time I opted for a SuperSprox:
 
R6 SuperSprox
 
© Copyright 2006 - 2017 Mike Lee