New Daily Driver, Again

Off-Topic Conversations, non-Jeep related pots.
OhioYJ
Site Admin

New Daily Driver, Again

Postby OhioYJ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Well looks like VW should be buying back my TDI Passat sometime soon, so it figured it was about time to pick up a replacement daily driver.

It's a little more fun to drive than the Passat.
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Re: New Daily Driver, Again

Postby OhioYJ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Luckily my dad never sold his other set of wheels when he got rid of his 350Z. So I bought those from him, and picked up some snow tires for them, and had my buddy who owns a tire shop clone a set of TPMS senors. Drove a Mustang daily for a lot years, I can say the snow tires make a huge difference.

Almost a shame to use a set of Forged Rays for winter wheels, but at the same time it's nice to still have a nice wheel on the car.
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Well my TWM shifter showed up. I'll wait for a little warmer weather though to actually install it.

I did pop the lighter clutch pedal assist spring (whatever you want to call it) in today. That did help the clutch pedal feel. To be honest if the clutch pedal is any stiffer I don't really notice it.

Voodoo shift knob, while cold as a block of ice in the morning, still feels better than stock shifting wise in my opinion. However I know that's all personal opinion.

I took a few minutes to clean up the Berk HFCs, it really only took maybe 5-10 minutes at most per cat. My dad had them left over from when he got rid of his 350Z, I was surprised how well they cleaned up. I probably could get them cleaner, but they aren't going to be seen again.

It's so much nicer stacking the 370 wheels/tires compared to the Jeep tires...

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Well we had some nice weather today, so I decided to take advantage of it, and get some of these parts installed. At least no one is surprised anymore by me taking apart a brand new car.

First up was the new shifter. Hardest part about this honestly was getting the audio connectors disconnected. Once I figured out I could easily get to them by removing the cup holder, it went in no problems.

OEM shifter just before removal:

I ended up using the piece to hold the shifter boot up as a finishing part on top of the boot. Underneath I'm using some half inch silicone hose and a half inch washer to hold the boot up. As well as another piece of silicone hose to solidly locate the boot on the spacer. Honestly I think TWM should include two of those black pieces, it would make the kit a lot nicer. Had I known I would have asked for two, even had I needed to purchased the second one. Either way I think this way it looks more finished.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:24 pm

The other project was installed the new Stillen G3 Intake, which means pulling the bumper.

Lots of bending things here and there. Cut one stud off to gain some clearance between the left filter. It's a tight fit, that's for sure.

Took it for a test drive though, don't hear any rattles, so everything is good.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Well I decided these had to go:

I usually prefer the no the clean look, but I really liked the Fairlady emblem, so I had to get one:

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Also UPS dropped off goodies, after what's seemed like a very long 3 month wait...

The car is in the garage right now in the air. I'll start the install in the morning.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Wed May 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Not that this video does the exhaust justice, but until I get a better one, here is one from the tuning session down at Dynosty today.

Picked up power and torque everywhere, which is pretty good considering the AFR wasn't that bad.

Larger Version of Dyno Image

The biggest difference though is the throttle response. It was raining the entire drive back, but the car is noticeably different to drive. So while 13 HP at the wheels might not sound like a lot, the car is still a completely different car to drive. Realistically though 13 HP is a pretty healthy gain though at the wheels.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:35 am

Well finally got around to adding a yaw sensor disable switch. My OCD wouldn't allow me to have just one switch and two blank panels, so I ordered three switches. Also my OCD needs to have the switches in the same direction, so the switch for the yaw sensor is backwards, as normally most accessories would not be on all the time:

I always de-insulate the terminals so I can solder after crimping. Just a habit from my Jeep I guess, so I re-insulate them with heat-shrink afterwards:

At least there is lots of areas underneath to keep the wires out of the way:

I think with three switches it looks OEM:

Return to “Off-Topic”