Fender Replacements

Pictures of your Jeep Modifications
OhioYJ
Site Admin

Re: Fender Replacements

Postby OhioYJ » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Well it maybe overkill, but I wanted to make really I didn't end up with overspray anywhere on the new paint today while painting the steps and wheel wells, and underneath.

The steps came out pretty good. I stripped most of the top off. Then painted the expanded metal part with a brush to get all the crevices, rolled everything like normal for some thickness, then finished everything with spray paint to even out the finish.

Other than some things still need washed off, most of of the wheel wells and the frame now are once again nice and black as well.

Image.

Got to rebuild the winch, and while the winch is apart, it will give me a chance to repaint it in epoxy paint. Tow hooks were primered today. Everything else is done. Couple more weeks and it will be time to start reassembly. The last thing I have to sort out will be reverse lights, as I will be changing that, which may require some touch-up on the rear bumper.
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Funny how as you start to do things like this, small things start to jump out at you and become eyesores. Of course it's also the small touches that really make big differences too. Painted the trim around the rear window, and the rear window hinges today:

Also had to paint the little clips around the rear window seals.

I keep saying this, but I really think that finishes the paint on the Jeep. I think the only thing left to paint is the winch, and I plan to take it apart and rebuild it at the same time.
95 YJ: 4.0, AX15, SOA, RE SOA Springs, 1" shackles, 1" body, SYE, CV driveshafts, locked 44, locked 8.8, high steer w/crossover, 37x12.5's on 15x10 beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. My Build-Up Post -- Photos -- SWB FAQ -- Mike

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:50 am

Well yesterday's project was clean-up the winch. Figured now was as good as time as any to go ahead and re-grease the planetary gears. They really didn't need since the last time I serviced it many years ago at this point, but while it was off the Jeep figured might as well.

Then everything got coated in epoxy paint:

I have a write-up on the winch service here if you want to see pictures of everything apart (from the first service many years ago): http://www.cdmfabrication.com/winch.html Funny how even I have refer to my own write-ups many times, as when I go back to do these things again many years later, you never remember everything.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Well it's been a month since I brought the Jeep home from the painters today, so I started some reassembly tonight.

Once all the black stuff is back on is should really make the red pop I think, it's starting to look like something. It really doesn't look like much, but that's because I was also going around everywhere popping in new grommets, clips, etc, and such everywhere. Lots of things that will go unnoticed to the someone who doesn't know everywhere.

Did make some little gaskets to go under the hood latches though. I noticed because these rub the fender when unlatched they eventually rub through the paint so they cause rust underneath. The gasket should prevent them from touching the paint, and as an added bonus they now stay where you put them instead of flopping all around.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Well at least since everything was on the hood finally, I could get the hood insulation installed. The fit was pretty good.

I tried polishing up my front turn signals, and it helped some. However I couldn't get all the mildew out of them. I tried putting them in the over to get them apart but no dice. I think I may have found a company that makes a replacement set specifically for the 94-95, so I have ordered them, we shall see if they are actually correct when they come in. If not, I may have to admit defeat, order the supposed 87-95 versions, and get the 87-93 turn signal sockets, since there is a difference.

Tomorrow all the fun stuff like bumpers and such go back on, at least that is the plan.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:07 pm

So my washer spray nozzles really looked pretty rough. Looks like you used to be able to get these in the aftermarket world, but no longer. So I had to paint mine. Seem like it wasn't too long ago you could nearly build a Jeep new out of a catalog, now seems like there's a lot you can't get. That being said, probably not a huge demand for some of this stuff. (Yes I know the vent is on backwards, I did that on purpose.)

I noticed the date code stamps on the flares were pretty sharp, so I sanded them down. Things like this is why my projects end up taking so long, as I end up getting hung on little details.

The Jeep is really starting to look like something. That being said, it's amazing how close something can look to being done, yet still be so far from actually being done.

I did let it fully warm up today and drive it around the block today, the hood stayed pretty much ice hold, so the hood insulation works great.

Still have to modify the passenger side mirror. Then install the reverse lights, taillights, off road lights, and wire all of them since they are all new (and wire up the new turn signals now in the flares). The new front turn signals should be here next week, hopefully they just bolt in, if they do, no wiring will be involved there.

Then install the door strikers. Then still sitting in the garage is the new master cylinder and still have to order proportioning valve and new front brake hoses. However the brake project and wait. I've had enough of working on the Jeep for a while.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Well didn't have a ton of time to work on the Jeep today, but did at least get the taillights installed. Did have to modify them a little. Trailer wiring is fixed, and the red and green wiring hanging over by the exhaust is for the reverse lights. The brackets are in place for those, just have mount them, and wire them up now.

OhioYJ
Site Admin

Postby OhioYJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:22 pm

Well my front turn signals came in, and they were actually 94-95 turn signals, so that was great news, so those are in. They look much better than my OEM ones do at this point.

Well no more yellow smiley faces on the front, but the new KCs look much better. They are wired back up, just have to aim them and finish tightening them down.

One marker light in the flare is "live" now. Ran out of steam for the night, have to do the other tomorrow.

The list of things to do is dwindling. However unfortunately it is still a list.

Return to “Build-Ups”